This position is a management position within the Marketing Department and reports directly to the Marketing Manager. The position’s primary responsibility is to increase the visibility of Pennsylvania Ballet and achieve a high level of local, national, and international news coverage for the Ballet’s productions, special events, community engagement and education efforts, institutional achievements, and artistic staff and dancers. This individual interacts regularly with all members of the Marketing Department, Artistic Director, Executive Director, Director of Development, Corporate Sponsorships and Special Events Manager, Director of Community Engagement, and Director of The School of Pennsylvania Ballet.
TYPICAL WORK ROUTINE INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:
- Plan and execute a public relations year-long strategy related to Pennsylvania Ballet’s performance season in Philadelphia and the Company including touring, Community Engagement, special events, and The School of Pennsylvania Ballet.
- Establish, maintain, and nurture positive and supportive relationships with local, national, and international reporters, dance critics, and editors
- Manage all relations with the media, including pitching story ideas, coordinating interviews and photo shoots, and meeting with reporters and editors as needed
- Maintain Pennsylvania Ballet account on media relations software for press release distribution, and media monitoring
- Manage distribution of approved press photos to all media outlets
- Submit event listings (and in some cases manually input performance and dates) to extensive list of print publications and social organizations that have online calendars, delegating to the Marketing Intern where possible
- Prepare and coordinate all press kits
Writing & Research
- Write and proofread all copy for the Marketing Department (and assist other departments with writing and proofreading as needed), including but not limited to direct mail, radio/web/print ads, invitations, brochures, and e-mails
- Work with Artistic Department to research information on each season’s ballets, choreographers, composers, etc. and compile production fact sheets to provide high level of knowledge for staff and press
- Plan, organize, and execute promotional appearances and opportunities to raise awareness of Pennsylvania Ballet, its productions, activities, and dancers
- Foster positive relationships with and knowledge of dancers and artistic staff in order to most appropriately assign them to promotional opportunities
- Work with Marketing Manager to create and execute appropriate promotions for individual ballets
- Contribute to Marketing Department brainstorms and assist in evaluating projects
- Manage content, deadlines, and production for program book for each performance (includes both generating and collecting content from all departments, assigning feature stories to freelance writers, etc.)
- Prepare and execute emergency announcement plans (e.g. inclement weather announcements, performance cancellations, cast changes)
- Understand and abide by all AGMA, AFM and IATSE regulations for photography and dancer appearances
- Supervise Public Relations intern (when applicable)
- Maintain press clippings library
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Public Relations, Communications or English
- 5 years’ experience working in a related field
- Non-profit or arts-related experience and knowledge of dance preferred
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure with careful attention to detail
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality
- Strong organizational, project management, time management, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of an integrated team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and media relations software
- Flexibility to work periodic nights and weekends as needed (at performances and events as well as responding to reporters on deadline in a timely fashion)
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to: Jonathan Stiles, Marketing Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit resume and cover letter as individual Word documents (no phone calls please).
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Pennsylvania Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.