All current employment opportunities are listed below.
Artistic Job Opportunities
BALLET MASTER, PENNSYLVANIA BALLET
The Ballet Master is responsible for carrying out the directives and wishes of the Artistic Director (AD) as s/he supports and implements the AD’s vision. The Ballet Master will serve as a key part of the Artistic team which includes the AD and other Ballet Masters and must embrace a collegial and communicative environment. The Ballet Master reports to the Artistic Director.
TYPICAL WORK ROUTINE INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO:
- The Ballet Master is responsible for carrying out the directives and wishes of the Artistic Director (AD) as s/he supports and implements the AD’s vision. The Ballet Master will serve as a key part of the Artistic team which includes the AD and other Ballet Masters and must embrace a collegial and communicative environment.
- The Ballet Master makes sure that the dancers are kept at the highest performance level possible, both artistically and technically, throughout the year. S/he needs to be a person of both empathy and firmness. The Pennsylvania Ballet dancers work under a collective bargaining agreement and the Ballet Master must work within the guidelines of that agreement.
- The Ballet Master coaches, rehearses, and restages work for Pennsylvania Ballet. His/her knowledge of dance in its past and current forms should be substantial. Pennsylvania Ballet’s repertoire is quite diverse and includes full-length classical ballets, many works by prominent 20th and 21st century choreographers (Balanchine, Robbins, Wheeldon, McGregor, et al) as well as commissioned world premieres.
- The Ballet Master should be aware of, interested in, and supportive of the artistic vision as it changes and adapts to internal and external circumstances. A positive attitude and fine-tuned communication skills are necessary in all situations. A person in this position should have an empathic understanding and appreciation for the stresses incurred by the AD, and ability to anticipate consequences, and alertness to the subtleties of negotiation with artists, supporters, and all constituencies with whom the Ballet Master and senior staff interact. The Ballet Master must be a person who thinks ahead, is prepared, and can make effective decisions as situations arise.
The Ballet Master has a public persona, and is expected to be very aware of philosophies, image, and messages which need to be conveyed in this position to various constituencies. He/she should be capable of wrestling with the subtleties of messaging, remaining alert and aware of possible consequences for Pennsylvania Ballet.
- This is a person the AD must be able to have absolute trust in as a skilled, respectful, calm, mature and supportive right hand, whose main professional agenda is to serve Pennsylvania Ballet and its Artistic vision. S/he is expected to represent the institution with personal of dignity, thoughtfulness, kindness, and maturity.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:.
- Ability to plan, establish priorities and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work efficiently in busy times with careful attention to detail.
- Energetic and enthusiastic person with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must pass criminal and child abuse background checks
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by July 31, 2015.
More information about Pennsylvania Ballet can be found at paballet.org.
Pennsylvania Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Web & Digital Media Intern - Fall 2015
Web & Digital Media Intern
Pennsylvania Ballet, one of the country’s leading ballet companies, seeks a dynamic Web & Digital Intern to join their Marketing team in the fall of 2015.
The Web & Digital Intern will work closely with both the administrative and artistic staff to maintain the technical infrastructure of the organization’s website.
- Work with design team and web programmers to ensure a consistent infrastructure and image on the organization’s website.
- Manage e-commerce functionality and work with third party providers to ensure that data is accurate and consistent.
- Investigate and suggest appropriate new web technologies
- Work with communications team on social media reporting and tracking
- Data entry / analysis
- Knowledge of HTML scripting and mass email client experience
- Ability to work independently
- Good communication, proofreading, and editing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Photoshop, InDesign a plus
- Well organized, detail oriented
- Interest in performing arts
A mutually- agreeable schedule will be devised by the Marketing Intern and the Marketing Department. Inters are compensated with tickets to Pennsylvania Ballet’s performances.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter marked WEB & DIGITAL INTERNSHIP to:
No phone calls, please.
Development Department Intern Position Available
Pennsylvania Ballet, one of the country’s leading ballet companies, seeks a development intern for the fall of the 2015-2016 season. The development intern will provide support for all aspects of the Development Department and will report directly to the Annual Fund Coordinator.
- Perform data entry and maintenance of the Ballet’s fundraising database Tessitura.
- Provide general administrative support of department initiatives.
- Represent the Development Department at special events, performances, rehearsals, and donor events, as requested.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and internet applications.
- Friendly and outgoing disposition.
- Hard working and responsible.
- Able to work independently.
- Available to work some nights and weekends.
- A heartfelt appreciation for the performing arts.
Applicants must be available to work at least two days a week, plus a few additional nights and weekends during the season as requested. Length and content of internships can be tailored to fit course requirement needs. This internship is unpaid; benefits include free performance tickets, participation in special events and the opportunity to work with a creative and energetic team.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Olivia Steffan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line.